Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chuck Speeds

I recently got a good deal on a new old stock Bison 10" independent 4
jaw. Its the model with the FPJ logo instead of the actual Bison logo.
In my search to make sure I had actually gotten a chuck made by Bison I
ran across references to how fast you can spin a chuck. I'd never
really thought about it before.

The lathe I plan to use it on turns upto 2000 RPM. I have for short
periods spun the 10" import chucks that came with the machine at that
speed. Other than taking a little while to come up to speed I never
noticed any adverse issues. However! I'm certainly no expert on this
sort of thing.

How fast can I safely spin this big heavy Bison chuck? Is there a
reference where I can look it up? What about the cheaper 10" import 3
jaw that came with the lathe or for that matter the cheaper 10" 4 jaw
that came with it?