Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outdoor lights

On 11/01/2018 13:35, fred wrote:
Want to get some decent outdoor lights. Auto day light switching and
solar powered ideally but otherwise 12v as the run will be up to
100yds with 5-10 lights on it

Solar powered lights tend to be useless in midwinter and often kill
their batteries stone dead if you leave them outside in the long dark
nights. Even kit like the radar activated "please go round the bend"
signs only last an hour or so after sunset and are dead in the water
every cold frosty winters morning when they might do some good. Today
has been very dull and foggy so the danger bend sign has already given
up the ghost and it isn't even dark yet.

I've seen some outdoor leds which were very weedy . Give out very
little light So what spec would I be looking for ? No of leds?
Wattage ?And wht duration could I expect on a winters night where it
is dark from 17:00 to 08:00

About 3W will give enough light for a path - best configuration is full
cutoff so that you don't dazzle or add to light pollution. To work in
winter reliably it will need to be actively powered - forget solar.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown