Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody know Bridgeport power feeds?

On 2018-01-08, wrote:
The power feed on my Bridgeport mill has started making a bad noise
when moving in one direction. The mill and power feed I bought new in
1981 and the power feed is the stock factory installed Bridgeport
brand power feed. When moving in one direction the power feed sounds
like it always has but when moving in the other it sounds like badly
meshing miter gears. Which is probably what the noise is. Maybe a gear
has become loose on its shaft and in one direction sounds good because
it is being pushed against some sort of stop which keeps it properly
engaged. But when the gear is spinning in the opposite direction it
moves out of proper engagement. Anyhow, before I take the drive apart
it would be nice to know if there is anything else I should be looking
for. Anybody know?

How about checking whether the leadscrew has a bit of end play.
If it moves, it carries its gear with it. Likely the bearings at the
end of the table just before the power feed and the crank.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail