Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] michaelafelde@gmail.com is offline

Default how to get a hotter hot tub?

On Friday, August 24, 2007 at 9:57:33 AM UTC-7, SteveB wrote:
"JJ" wrote in message

We're in the market for a used or new hot tub. One thing we're concerned
about is the maximum operating temperature. It looks as if all hot tub
thermostats are now capped at 104 degrees for safety reasons. That would
probably be OK for me, but for my wife who likes it hot, hot, hot, that
just won't cut it.

We have an indoor jacuzzi tub now, and she gets that above 110 for her
tubs. Granted, there's no heater, so the water starts cooling off
immediately - but it's still above 104 after 20 minutes of soaking.

We've measured water temps in other tubs and hot tubs and I think
somewhere between 106 and 108 would probably be ideal, but at a max temp
of 104, it won't be worth buying. My wife's parents keep their hot tub at
about 112. Ouch! That's too hot for me. I can last about 5 minutes.

So, my question is not about the health effects of such hot temperatures,
but rather...

Is there a simple way to hack the thermostat on a hot tub to get above the
104 cutoff? I was thinking of maybe covering the temp sensor with some
kind of insulating material, but I'm not sure if that's feasible. Since we
don't currently have a hot tub, I'm not even sure where the temp sensor
would be located.

Has anyone successfully hacked their hot-tub thermostat, and how did you
do it?

Thanks.

-JJ

It can be done easily by someone who knows such things. They are set that
way because of the way the human body temperature works. You might want to
read up about it and find the facts before you do something stupid. Hot
tubs are limited for very good reasons. People have health conditions that
many do not know they even have and go into hotter water than they should
and stay there longer than they should. One should not consume alcohol
prior to gong into a hot tub. We all do these things, and USUALLY nothing
goes wrong.

Sure, you've done it, and it's okay. Tomorrow you invite your boss, and he
has a heart condition he doesn't know about or blood pressure problems. He
dies in the tub.

Can you say major lawsuit with possible criminal charges? I knew you could.

Steve

for some individuals 106-108 has more therapy value 20 min in 106 w a gallon of water to drink while sweating i come out cured! how come the water heater or washing machine isnt maxed at 104 ? same deal as the seat belt or helmet .should be a choice