Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default rail and stile question (dumb??)

JayPique writes:
On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 5:46:47 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/5/2018 3:47 PM, Jay Pique wrote:
On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 11:59:46 AM UTC-5, sawdustmaker wrote:
After all my years of woodworking you'd think I'd know this but though=

t I'd
ask.
Do (horizontal) rails ever extend over the top/bottoms of the (vertica=

l)
stiles? I always thought rails stopped at the stiles but ....
=20
Traditionally the rails are captured between the stiles, but I suppose =

you could have the stiles captured by the rails. My only thought would be =
that in the latter case you *might* risk binding of a solid wood panel when=
/if the stiles and panel both expand due to humidity. If the stiles captur=
e the rails you eliminate any effect from the stile expansion.
=20

=20
whaaaaaaaat?

Any expansion of stiles with rails captured in the middle of them goes to t=
he outside - door gets wider overall - panel opening side to side stays con=
stant. (Rails stay same length, stiles get wider) If stiles are captured =
by rails where does expansion occur - split equally inside and out? only ou=
t? only in?

While the typical stile and top-bottom rail are generally
narrow enough that any seasonal movement can generally be
ignored (regardless of the top/bottom rail being coped into
the stile, or vice versa), with wide center rails, it can
be beneficial to glue only the center of the rail tenons.