Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Turning a taper between offset centers

On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 13:36:26 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

snip

I don't know what white lead is. I've got 99.5% pure (used for testing
molds before I ship them) and some hard alloy I mix in from time to time
for special applications.

BTW, is you have a really old lathe, like my 1945 South Bend, you'll
have a little tapered brass plug that fits loosely into a hole in the
tailstock. There is a little pocket under the plug. That's for white
lead. The plug is a dauber to spread a dab of white lead on your dead
center.

--
Ed Huntress