Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Overhead power cables.

On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 22:15:56 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

I'd say your experience is remarkably similar to mine

Used to be 2-3 a year, now down to less than one

We had 8 in 4 hours the other day. Only for a few seconds, but it still
reset all the clocks

Big branch that didn't get vapourised enough on first contact to not
make a second and not making contact frequently enough to lock the
auto-recloser out. I think the auto-reclosure in our line requires 3
trips within a minute before it locks out. ie
on-off-on-off-on-off-lockout.

If it had been mostly off with a few on seconds on, that would be the
DNO engineers trying to locate the fault by measuring ground
potentials/currents when they reconnect the supply and before it
trips again due to the fault. They'd almost located the faulty
insulator when we rang the DNO to say each time the power was
restored an insulator at the top of our pole arced over. This was
after a the best part of dozen short duration power restorations.

--
Cheers
Dave.