Posted to uk.d-i-y
www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_] www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_] is offline

Default XP box

On 04/01/2018 19:47, T i m wrote:

I went up there the other day and whilst there he asked me to explain
why the Linux updates wouldn't complete successfully. It gave a clue
to their being 'insufficient disk space' but he had 1.9G free on his
root partition? Because there were no friendly (/obvious) 'cleanup'
tools on Linux I had to roll my sleeves up and deleted about 20
obsolete linux-kernel files (using Synaptic), magically freeing up
enough space for the update to complete?

That was always my biggest issue. Oh, that and packages not updating
because some suppository had magically made it's self
illegal/invalid/duplicated/unknown or whatever with no clear way to
rectify the situation.

Why can't Linux have a simple option in the gear-wheelsy config
"desktop" bit that allows you to select number of kernel files kept e.g.
3 "roll-backs" as default ?

Needless to say I haven't booted up a Linux virtual box since the last
time it decided it needed peeking and poking or whatever to get it to
play nicely after it tried to update after a virgin install.
Still at least with virtual machines is easy to get rid of.