Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default XP box

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 20:47:54 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , T i m
writes
On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 19:06:16 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 04/01/18 17:42, Huge wrote:

snip

The problem isn't erasing files, it's knowing which files to erase. And
the *only* certain method is to DBAN (or equivalent) the disks. (And
if you're properly paranoid, to physically destroy them, but that's
a little OTT for a home user.)

Not really. a bench vice and an angle grinder..

Whoosh ...

I wondered if mentioning computers would start a mega thread:-)

This have moved on we now talk about giga and tera so this could end up a tera thread.

Of course using such an old computer I;m guessing that secirity and the recent possible expliots won't be fixed on these old system so another reason not to use old hardware on-line at least.

It is only 32 bit and had started being a bit careless about dragging
and dropping files. I'll move it to a dry barn to get over the immediate
problem.

--
Tim Lamb