Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Overhead power cables.

On 05/01/18 09:17, RJH wrote:
On 04/01/2018 15:36, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

cost of repairing overhead 11KV fault. £2000.
Cost of undergrounding it - £30,000 per kilometer.

£250m for 8 miles in Stratford

https://www.arup.com/projects/london-2012-powerlines-undergrounding

That was presumably 132kV or greater though, not 11KV, which is more or
less a biggger version of 'armored mains cable'

They did something similar in Barcelona when they had their Olympics
windfall IIRC. But not that deep - 30m?! Pretty much future proofs
infrastructure of this kind.

The private sector is not likely to take such a long-term view.

National grid *is* private sector.

Their arttrtudue was that they would and coul afford to may abiut 35% of
te cist of undergriunding the lines over my house, if I could stump up
the remaining 18 grand or so.

In terms of increasing the property value it was worth every penny.

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen