TimS

Default Help upgrading Service panel from 60A to 125A, please.

Part of my reasoning is ....
Where I live, the utility has see the county inspector's approval before
attaching new service.
So, approval in the morning, attaching in the afternoon leaves little time
to correct errors.
I still think hiring a master to guide you, and manage the changeover would
be worth it.
Also, he would have a generator, or at least the insurance, to cover your
freezer.

TS

"Bytolier" wrote in message
news:emV0YW4=.6f1136b7f37dfa49e80cb1c4a667f212@106 9990714.cotse.net...
TimS wrote:

I hate to see pros blow off guys with simple questions with 'call a

pro',
but....

Your 'step by step' request is actually impossible, based on the 711

page
book I have to operate by.

Make sure as many as possible individual circuits are up to snuff, buy

the
same brand panel so your breakers can move from old to new,

(respectfully)
manage the inspection process yourself, and bite the bullet and hire a
master to guide and handle the actual service swap.

I will guide a homeowner on his permit, nothing wrong with that, but I

can't
do it blind.

Tim S.

Thank you for the good intentions, Tim.

I have done many many things in my life that a "Pro" insisted they can
only do. Once a person with good common sense and good information put

their
minds to do something, it can be done. Happiness does indeed lie in doing
something others say you cannot do.

But to the point. This project would make me very sad, standing there
watching someone hang a box, pull them cables through, attaching them to

the
correct size breakers they came off of, and then charge me $1500, or more.

There are cases where a Pro, is indeed a pro. And jobs that are too
technical for the average person. This is not one of them. Once I'm told

how
it is done and what not to do, it is as good as done.

Worst case scenario happens when the person tells me I had misunderstood
the "Code". And I have to add an inch or cut off an inch. Won't be the

forst
time.

I'm not arguing that professionals are needed. I'm saying I really think
this is not that big of a deal. The permit itself says, this upgrade does
NOT have to be done by anyone licensed. Just gotto be done right and
inspected. If it passes said inspection, well, it's a done deal.

And it will be.

Much thanks and please don't feel I am telling you your skills are not
needed. Black and Decker would not sell a million copies on Electrical

repair, along with countless others, if these things were not to be done

by
the thinking person. Only the ones with the paper.

Cletus