Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Raw water anyone?

On Fri, 05 Jan 2018 01:02:32 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 16:04:27 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 8:27:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jan 2018 21:49:34 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Jan 2018 21:24:28 -0000, wrote:

It is very easy to remove the chlorine with a simple carbon filter.
Most refrigerators with water on the door have them now.
I get my water from a well and I suppose it is about as raw as you get
from the hose bibs (directly off the well) but I treat it myself
before I drink it. Still no chemicals tho.

Chlorine isn't harmful.

It just tastes bad if you are not used to it. When I lived in DC I
never noticed but now "city water" tastes like the water in my pool.
That is not surprising because both contain about 3PPM cl.
In fact DC tap water test "ideal" with a 2 bottle pool test kit.
I agree storing it in the pipes is one reason why they put chlorine in
tap water even though most organisms do not thrive at over 20 PSI or
so. That is why you get a "boil water" notice when the pressure drops.
It is also because city water is "used" before you get it. There are a
few places that do not have anything up stream of the river where it
comes from but not many. If you are in New Orleans people have been
pooping and dumping chemicals in your water for 1300 miles up stream.
Maybe that is a good reason to drink bottled water there, assuming it
was bottled in a city with better water.

I dunno what the concentrations are, bu swallowing some pool water at a public pool tastes 100 times stronger than tap water. Easiest way to notice the difference is to get some in your eye.

If they are using the recommended balance it should be exactly like
tap water 3 PPM. Usually it is a whacked pH that burns your eyes.

Or high levels of combined chlorine. Same thing with the smell.
A properly maintained pool should not smell of chlorine, except maybe very slightly and it should not burn your eyes.

In the UK, I've been to many public swimming pools, and they always smell strongly of chlorine. You can't be serious about it being the same as tap water, that ain't gonna kill germs!

They should both be ~3 PPM. You just seldom have 30,000-40,000 gallons
of tap water in the same spot with people splashing in it.