Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Aldi, the German discounter

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 02:18:28 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 09:50:30 UTC, stuart noble wrote:

Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store? I've never
seen "discounted" goods in their stores, and they don't try and
bamboozle you with BOGOF deals, loyalty cards and all that rubbish. In
fact that's probably why they're so successful. That and applying
commonsense to their strategy.
The late Andy Hall must be turning in his grave, having predicted that
the Lidl/Aldi style of retailing would never catch on.

One thing puzzles me about them: why no self-service checkouts? They are
cheaper.

But not quick, thus typing up more space.

That space is only used for stock in our new aldi.

Given that *all* Aldi staff (including managers) are expected to pitch
in and run checkouts as necessary, and that you are expected to pack
*afterwards* and not at the checkout, they make pretty efficient use
of space. If the checkouts are quiet, the staff are redeployed to other
tasks. They are basically trained to do everything.