Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default Aldi, the German discounter

In article ,
says...

The idea is all goods are whizzed back into your trolley, and there's an
area set aside for you to pack. I believe you can also remove surplus
packaging and leave it for the store to dispose of.

A Belgian Supermarket chain, Coltuyt, does the same except
that their checkout operators don't even have anywhere to sit!

Intersting - we didn't know what to expect the first time we
used one but a Brit living there recommended them to us.

The floors are plain concrete and the shelves are industrial
racking. Some of their stuff is own brands - we always bring
back large quantities of their ground coffee in 1.5kg packs
and much cheaper because of the large pack size and their
cheese has a long shelf life - we've been caught out in other
stores where it goes mouldy in the fridge long before its best
before date.

We always make a point of stocking up on every trip before
catching the ferry home. The only thing to watch out for is
that the only plastic they accept is a strictly Belgian card
which is not allied to either Visa or Mastercard, so
everything we buy as to be a cash transaction.

Completely unlike any other supermarket either here or in
Europe and ranks joint top of the Belgian supermarket
business.

--

Terry

---