Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default XP box

If it had a reliable CD/DVD writer in it, that might be of use. Many of the
modern ones I get are crap at writing cds that my normal CD player can read,
whereas those of a few years back seem to be better at this job. My guess is
that the newer devices are jack of all trades, masters of none.

Some electronic bods like the old psus to give them bench power supplies,
got any ham radio groups near you?
What is the keyboard like. If its usb and reasonable might be better than
the el cheapo ones you get these days.
Keep the mains lead.
Its a pity you don't have the room as I have a number of old xp machines in
use as back up storage when needed on a network.

Memory sticks only of use to people trying to keep old machine running.
If it has separate sound card can be handy if its still a supported model,
but not many are now.
What other cards does it have. Serial or parralel cards, network cards and
any non graphics card can be handy to some people.
Rest is probably recyclable.
As you say, unless you can use the ide drive locally, you need to
physically destroy it if it has any chance of holding personal info.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
Right! The old XP box has taken up space in our hall for too long. I am
told the space is needed for a row of wellington boots in readiness for
the next GC. visit!

I'll strip out the hard drive but are any of the other bits of interest?
Free to appreciative home:-) Memory cards?

There has been occasional mention of alternative uses for PC power
supplies. I stopped playing with electronic components around the time TTL
came along so nothing springs to my mind.

--
Tim Lamb