Paul Mc Cann

Default Cutting Kitchen Worktop

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:28:30 -0000, "Set Square"

Jeff Allen wrote:

I have an old built-in hob which I want to replace with a freestanding
cooker. Therefore the existing kitchen worktop will need cutting in
order to be able to slot in the new cooker. Is it going to be possible
to cut the laminated worktop using a jigsaw? I can tolerate some
slight chipping since I intend to cover the end using metal edging.

Jeff.

Possible, yes - desirable, no!

Are you planning to remove the worktop to cut it, or to do it in situ?

By far the best solution is to remove it, turn it upside down, and cut it
with a sharp circular saw starting from the rolled edge.

If you cut it with a jigsaw, it is *much* more difficult to keep it
straight. Since jigsaws usually cut on the up stroke, you still need to cut
from the bottom in order to minimise chipping. [I've a vague feeling I've
seen some jigsaw blades which cut on the down stroke - but I've never used
one. This may make it possible to cut from the top - but I would be worried
about the blade buckling].

Dunno ! I think I'd have a go with the jig saw. Switch off the
pendulum action as it tends to cause more chipping. Use a new blade
and take it easy. The problems can lie in rushing it and pushing the
jig saw too fast. This can cause the blade to bend. To all intents and
purposes you will be cutting to the marked line but actually the blade
has bowed and is cutting a curved profile. This can be real bugger to
correct.

If you try it out on a waste area of the worktop first you will be
able to establish how much chipping is going to occur. Profile strips
in aluminium are availabel to finish off these cut ends and they
generally have enough of a lip to cover a rough edge. I have done this
successfully in the past.

Personally I wouldn't dream of removing the worktop to do this. Get as
close to the wall as possible and finish off with a hand saw.

Paul Mc Cann