Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default rail and stile question (dumb??)

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 5:07:35 AM UTC-8, dadiOH wrote:
"sawdustmaker" wrote in message

Do (horizontal) rails ever extend over the top/bottoms of the (vertical)
stiles? I always thought rails stopped at the stiles but ....

IMO, the main reason for rails over stiles is for outdoor stuff to cover up
the stile end grain, protecting it from water.

It wasn't a door, but the frame for my TV antenna (it's a wire array
with insulating, wood, support) has the rails-over feature, with the
mortises blind at the top, and through on the bottom. Both mortises
are intended to drain (or at least dry) fast as the rain comes in.

It's a door-like item, with frame-and-no-panel construction.