Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Face Frames, Euro Hinges & Overlay Doors

On 1/3/2018 6:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 10:32:42 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/2/2018 9:04 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

...snip...

"I buy these in lots of 50 to get better pricing, still this place
has good prices for lesser quantities. (wwhardware)"

I'm waiting on my (your) heavy duty levelers from them as we speak. I'll
check out their hinges too. I think I want soft close but not sure yet. The
doors for this unit will be practice for the 20 other doors I plan to make
for the rest of the kitchen.

I have never been a fan of soft close doors, IMHO they can cause undue
stress on the face frames if "forced" to close faster than their delay
mechanism would normally allow. That may of may not be a valid point
but it is what I think every time I close a soft close door.

IMHO, I don't see why anyone would force a soft close door closed. Ever
since I installed the soft close drawer slides in my kitchen, I just push
the drawers towards closed and let the mechanism do the rest. I don't see
why I would close the doors any differently, although I'll admit I've
never lived with self closing or soft closing doors.

Almost every person I know has pushed closed a soft close drawer. Most
all drawers and doors are self close and most people push them closed
until just before they slam. IIRC soft closer start the soft close
several inches before the door is closed. You do get used to this but
those not familiar will still try to close the doors.

If the door is solid enough, read that as the panel does not rattle when
closing normally, soft close adds little noise control

I guess I wasn't thinking of the soft close feature as a noise control
device. I just like the coolness of having the mechanism take over after
a gentle push. ;-)

I'm going to try the soft close on this project. If I don't like/need them,
I can switch to the self close version for the 20+ plus doors. Much cheaper.

Most of the soft close hinges can have that feature defeated. At least
the Blum brand that I use. The ones I pointed out are normal however.