Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Electrical question

On 03/01/2018 20:30, ARW wrote:
On 02/01/2018 23:10, wrote:
I need to replace an ancient bell/call box power supply with a modern
wallwart. The original transformer (from the 1930s, with internal
fuses in both L and N) was wired into the lighting circuit. It would
be very difficult to get non-lighting power to this location (near the
ceiling, in the kitchen), I don't have space for a fused spur and I
can't find a 13A socket with a built-in fuse. I'm planning on using a
standard 13A socket, fitting an internal 500mA in-line fuse and adding
a suitable label to the socket.
What does the jury think?

Why would you want a non lighting power source?

Why would you want a socket with a 3A fuse in it if the wallwart is
designed to fit a 13A socket?

Am I just missing something?

Why not just fit a 13A socket from the existing power supply, plug your
wallwart into that and be done with it?

Well done that man! I'd assumed that having a 13A socket on the lighting
circuit was against some regulation (that I hadn't found) and failed to
engage brain. Thanks! Brain now engaged and I will stop thinking about
it (but I *will* add a label to the socket, for the benefit of whoever
is here next).