Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default XP box

T i m wrote
Tim Lamb wrote

Right! The old XP box has taken up space in our hall
for too long. I am told the space is needed for a row
of wellington boots in readiness for the next GC. visit!

;-)

I'll strip out the hard drive but are any of the other bits of interest?
Free to appreciative home:-) Memory cards?

It always seems a shame to disable an old PC like
that when it's actually working (assuming it is etc).

So, what I might be inclined to do is get a copy of DBAN and
securely wipe the drive (assuming you don't want what's on it
etc), it's just a couple of inputs and you leave it to do it's thing.

At that point you could stick it on Freecycle / Freegle and let
them 1) come and get it and 2) do what they want with it.

Never seen anyone want them here. Same with even decent glass monitors.

Or, get a copy of Linux Mint (MATE) if it's only got a basic graphics
solution and stick that on it (you could try it first from the LiveDVD)
and then give it away as a complete working solution. ;-)

There has been occasional mention of alternative uses for PC
power supplies. I stopped playing with electronic components
around the time TTL came along so nothing springs to my mind.

If you needed a high current 12V DC supply to run some lights or a de-
rusting tank then you only need to short a couple of wires on the ATX
plug (green and black) to get it to power up and connect up the wires you
need (yellow is +12 and black (gnd) to your load and you are good to go.
;-)

I'll process the PC and give it away for
you if you don't get any other takers. ;-)

Be interesting to see if anyone wants it.