Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default OT(ish) - toilet pan design

On 03/01/2018 17:35, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 09:20:12 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Monday, 1 January 2018 21:06:07 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
I don't think there is anyone squeamish on here, but if you are look away
now. :-)

Huh.

I was quite excited (well, moderately anticipatory) when I saw Tai Bach Y Byd on the Welsh TV channel. "Little Houses of the World". I though it would be something like George Clarke's series on small buildings but with a more international flavour.

I was mistaken, and some of you may be ahead of me at this point.

On watching it, it became apparent that it was about what in Welsh is called (politely) the Ty Bach ("Little House") or (less politely) the Ty Cachi ("**** House") and featured a variety of lavatorial arrangements from around the world. The programme or segment I inadvertently dipped into, err I mean saw, (for about 5 minutes) was about the toilets in Bangladesh, many of which have neither flush nor U-bends. Quite, quite, quite disgusting.

Mr Parry's tale of smoking in a communal latrine in Herefordshire is tame by comparison.

Why S4C thought that anyone would want to watch close ups of Bangladesh's crapping arrangements at any time, let alone Christmas, is completely beyond me. Perhaps it was intended as a purgative for anyone who hadn't already lost their stomach contents over the vomit-inducing syrupyness of the little children singing songs about Jesus.

Owain

The French used to use a 'squat toilet'. Still found in some of the
rural parts in the far SW of the country, at least they were in the
1970's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squat_toilet Revolting things.

Aha! Otherwise known as "The long drop". It takes a bit of faith that
"things" will fall clear of clothing but I got to quite like them, but I
never tried one after a curry. :-O)
A pal worked in the UAE for a while and got to like the "hose pipe and
hand" method but I even balk at having to put the paper in a bin in some
parts of the world, rather than down the bog.