TimS

Default Help upgrading Service panel from 60A to 125A, please.

I hate to see pros blow off guys with simple questions with 'call a pro',
but....

Your 'step by step' request is actually impossible, based on the 711 page
book I have to operate by.

Make sure as many as possible individual circuits are up to snuff, buy the
same brand panel so your breakers can move from old to new, (respectfully)
manage the inspection process yourself, and bite the bullet and hire a
master to guide and handle the actual service swap.

I will guide a homeowner on his permit, nothing wrong with that, but I can't
do it blind.

Tim S.

"CletusMilsap" wrote in message
news:emV0YW4=.89c303076d526cdbc3a601ce4e099a86@106 9965728.cotse.net...
DaveG wrote:

"Cletus Milsap" wrote in

message

If the people at Home Depot told you that your disconnect must be 6' or
closer to the spa, run, do not walk, away from that place. You were

grossly
mis informed.
For you spa to meet current code, you must have a GFCI breaker

protecting
the power to the spa. You can put this GFCI breaker in your main panel

if
you want to. A GFCI breaker is rather expensive, though, at maybe $80

or
more, depending on the brand of breaker you need. This breaker can go

in
your main panel if you want.

You must also have a form of disconnect within line of sight, but no

closer
than 5' to the water in the spa. This disconnect does not have to be

fused,
if you have the GFCI breaker in your main panel. It is okay to mount

this
disconnect 15' away from the spa. The disconnect must not be closer

than
5', but it can be as far away as 50' if it is within line of sight of

the
spa.

You can use a simple 60 amp rated a/c disconnect if you want. Or you

could
keep the existing breaker that is in your panel, and mount a spa panel

no
closer than 5' to the spa, and put the GFCI breaker in there as your
disconnect. You can get a not sure if you can get a spa panel with a 40

amp
GFCI breaker, though. Most of the ones I've seen are 50 amp.

There are other code requirements for you spa, depending on your

specific
situation, and what the electrical code you will be held to. Mine was a

new
installation, and our city is inspecting to the 2002 NEC. Your

situation
may be different. Spa wiring codes can get kinda picky, so check out

what
they'd require from you in your situation.

Sorry I cant help you with the replacement panel question.
Dave

Thanks a million. I was thinking this guy was full of chickenfeed. He

was
talking backwards. Seems there is no good answer. All the answers go to

the
pot when an inspector that did not get any booty last nite, comes and
decides he or she likes it this or that way.

I'm truly dumbfounded what people get away with in certain positions. I
understand the need. They want to protect the dumbasses from killing
themselves. Without regulations and rules, dumb people would die. Smart
people would make smart kids. 3 generations - no more dumb people. And the
guy's great grand kids would be out of a job. No need for them.

In the meanwhile, I'll wait for the inspector with finger sandwiches and

good keg of Sarsaparilla.

Thanks for your answer.

Cletus