Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Shimming a toilet

On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 12:19:43 AM UTC-5, ChairMan wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
What can be used to shim a toilet on a ceramic tiled
floor.

My neighbor has a toilet that rocks from front to back,
the fulcrum
point being roughly where the bolts are. It sits on tile
on top of a
concrete slab so correcting the floor is out of the
question.

Gravity keeps the toilet sitting to the back, when you sit
on it, it
rests on the front and goes back when you get off.

Temporarily, I was able to slide a paint stirrer under the
rear to
support it and it does not move when you sit on it. I'm
thinking or a
grout type material that can be squeezed in the gap and
then will set
hard. Wood will eventually get wet and rot. Silicone
would be good
to put under but may be too soft to support the weight.
What about a
few washers with silicone?

The nuts on the hold down seem snug and I don't want to
crank down on
them and break the ceramic. I don't mind helping, but I
don't want to
buy him a new toilet.

Some washers or I've used pennies a few times

Home depot has little plastic wedges for shimming toilets. NEver had
to use them, so IDK how well they work.