Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default What solvent to clean orfice on propane hand torch?

On 1/2/2018 4:27 PM, Frozen South wrote:

wrote:
I swear those hand held propane torche orfices clog even when they are
not being used. Whenever I need a torch, no gas comes out. I'm tired
of buying a new torch everytime I need one. Bernzomatic used to sell
replacemnt orfices but it appears they no longer do. I guess they want
to sell more disposible torches to us almost every year.
There is nothing that I have found, such as wire that will fit into
that extremely tiny hole. But I'm thinking there must be some sort of
solvent that will dissolve whatever builds up in them. (which has to
come in the gas itself).
Anyone know of any solvent for this?

You can go to the welding store and get a tip cleaner. Some are
different size wires and my favorite is tiny drill bits you choose the
one you want, put it in the holder and rotate.

It's unlikely this will work.
Solvent probably won't work either.
One thing that can work is to put the orifice in backwards
and turn on the gas. Do it outside, cause the joint will
leak.