Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default OT(ish) - toilet pan design

In article , Max Demian
wrote:
On 02/01/2018 08:32, Chris Hogg wrote:

Toilet designs changed around the time that water metering and
volume-related water charging came in, and low-volume flush toilets
became popular.

I remember in the seventies (when hardly anyone had a water meter) we
were urged to stick a brick in the cistern to conserve water, and some
people objected, "Bricks in the cistern, bugs in the pan." Then they
redesigned the toilet so it used less water and we were asked to put a
plastic hippopotamus in the cistern.

Why don't people just trust WC designers to know how much water is
required?

the water is needed to flush the waste into the main sewer. A smaller
quantity if probably fine in urban areas where there are short sewer runs,
but when your house is 100m from the road, as our previous one was, you
need the greater quantity of water.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England