Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT(ish) - toilet pan design

In article ,
David writes:
I don't think there is anyone squeamish on here, but if you are look away
now. :-)
.
.
.
.
.
This concerns the design of toilet pans.

Our RAK toilets have a broad pan, a narrow throat with vertical sides, and
a flat bottom (insert joke of choice here).

This design seems to encourage skid marks and the use of the toilet brush.

On my occasional travels I note that most other toilets have a wider
throat with more of a slope and no flat bottom and these don't seem to
collect the skid marks in the same way, and tend to flush clean.

Just wondering if there is an issue with the toilet design we have, and if
most toilets don't have this problem.

In many countries, toilets are routinely supplied with non-stick
coatings. In the UK, domestic toilets aren't.

Reason given by one manufacturer who supplies in UK and elsewhere
is that in the UK, men choose the toilet and don't consider skid marks
an issue because someone else always cleans them off. In countries
where the person selecting the toilet is also the person who cleans it,
non-stick coatings are standard, because no one buys a toilet without
them.

--
Andrew Gabriel