Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default Another photographic question...

On 01/01/18 10:37, D.M. Procida wrote:
Nick Odell wrote:

I've got enough film to keep me out of mischief too.

Do you have a good supplier?

Since Poundland stopped selling Agfa Vista Plus, I've been gloomily
watching my personal stash decline.

If they have it in again (there have always been interruptions in their
supply, but this time there are noises that it may be permanent) I'm
going to buy a couple of hundred rolls and keep them in the freezer.

The guy who runs the austerityphoto.co.uk blog has published an email
reply he received from Poundland confirming that they will not be
stocking Agfa Vista Plus any more, unfortunately. I still have some in
my fridge at home but my stocks are also running low.

Recently I've been buying film close to expiry or slightly beyond expiry
on eBay and been having reasonable results. It's no worse than keeping
groceries beyond BB date: if they've been kept properly they are usable
for ages and if you are disciplined about bidding for film and are
prepared to let overpriced items go, sometimes you get lucky. I've also
bought some quite old film at ridiculously cheap prices. The only things
I feel it helps to remember are that very fine grain film will tend to
lose its definition over the years and high speed film will need
de-rating faster than low speed film. My rule of thumb is to halve the
ASA after 5 or 6 years for ASA 800 and above, then halve it again every
ten or so years after that. ASA 400 and below, just halve it every 10-15
years. Works for me.

Nick