Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Running an empty microwave oven

In article ,
says...

Let's say I have a shop with shelf space for 500 microwaves. If the
expensive ones make me £50 and the cheap ones make me £10, I ain't gonna
sell the cheap ones.

Like I said, you don't understand retail. You may only make 10 on the low
priced ovens, but if you sell 10 of those for every 1 of the high priced
oven you will still carry the low priced oven because you will make more
money than if you don't. You will still carry the high priced oven because
you can make more money than if you don't. The fact that you have 50 of the
cheap ovens on the shelf doesn't mean you will sell more of them than if you
had 40 cheap ovens and 10 of the expensive ovens sitting on the shelf.

There are many factors you don't seem to understand.

About 60 years ago a couple of men started a grocery store with one
store. Their idea was to make 5 fast penneys instead of one slow
nickle. That turned into the Food Lion chain of stores. Made lots of
people in a small town of about 20,000 people millionairs. I was a
stock boy during part of that time and remember going to almost every
item in the store (with others) and marking down each item. This was
before bar codes and every item had to be hand marked. In that town and
several small towns around there are several Food Lion stores, Wallmart,
and two other stores toget groceries at as their main item. The A@P,
Winn-Dixie chains folded years ago.

Depending on the item, it is often better to stock many low dollar/
profit items and a few high dollar items.

People are funny. A fellow I knew sold items at a farmers market. One
day he tried to sell cantalopes for $ .25 and not selling many, he
marked that out and put up a sign of 3/$ 1.00. Sold almost all of them
at that price even though they cost more.