Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default rail and stile question (dumb??)

On 1/1/2018 2:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/1/18 12:56 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/1/2018 12:38 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/1/2018 10:59 AM, sawdustmaker wrote:
After all my years of woodworking you'd think I'd know this but
thought I'd
ask.
Do (horizontal) rails ever extend over the top/bottoms of the
(vertical)
stiles? I always thought rails stopped at the stiles but ....

Yes they do/can.Â* But the accepted way is as rails between stiles.

I have had the rails past the tops and bottoms of the stiles when the
rail end grain was going to be a visibility issue and or when they
needed to look continuous, like when several doors were in a row.

Here is an example of the rail over the stile orientation that I did
about 20 years ago for a customer.Â* She wanted it that way.

The center housed a 35" Sony TUBE TV and the tall side drawers on both
sides housed 1,000+ CD's.Â* About 12' wide.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I believe we went through all this on my baby gate post, didn't we?Â*Â* :-D
I don't think there's a set-in-stone rule.Â* I believe tradition is what
has brought us the current configuration and the tradition may have
stemmed from strength of the joint.
With modern techniques, glue, and joinery, I say leave it up to what
works/looks best for you in each circumstance.

First I have never made a door, but it seems the rail over the stile
would be stronger from the total door point of view, as the stress would
be across the width of the style, ie nominally 2+ inches length of the
joint. vs stile over rail which would be the bend the joint across the
joint.

ie a book opens freely when you open it oposite the bound side the
(joint), but can be quite strong if you try to tear it in half.

This is dificult to describe, but I hope you see what I am trying to say.

--
2017: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre