Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default rail and stile question (dumb??)

On 1/1/2018 12:38 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/1/2018 10:59 AM, sawdustmaker wrote:
After all my years of woodworking you'd think I'd know this but
thought I'd
ask.
Do (horizontal) rails ever extend over the top/bottoms of the (vertical)
stiles? I always thought rails stopped at the stiles but ....

Yes they do/can.Â* But the accepted way is as rails between stiles.

I have had the rails past the tops and bottoms of the stiles when the
rail end grain was going to be a visibility issue and or when they
needed to look continuous, like when several doors were in a row.

Here is an example of the rail over the stile orientation that I did
about 20 years ago for a customer. She wanted it that way.

The center housed a 35" Sony TUBE TV and the tall side drawers on both
sides housed 1,000+ CD's. About 12' wide.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/