Posted to rec.woodworking
swalker swalker is offline

Default Blade for Compound, sliding miter saw

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 17:32:26 -0600, swalker wrote:

About 30 years ago I purchased a Hitachi compound sliding miter saw.

The blade that came with the saw would not cut a 22.5 degree perfectly
and I when I talked to the company about it they suggested I change
the blade to another style. I did and it worked.

I can't remember the style but I think it was designated as a ATB type
or something like that.

Anybody have a clue as to what type blade I need for a replacement?

Sorry to be so vague but I think a little mad-cow has kicked in. Or
maybe part-timers.

Thanks for the ad vice.

It might not have been quite 30 years but it will be close.

This is an 8 inch saw which I think was the biggest slider Hitachi
made at the time. An excellent saw which I have been very careful
with. I should have had the blade sharpened sooner but no one around
me does sharpening. Woodcraft has a guy that does it and I will make
the 50 mile drive to them. I will also buy a new blade from somewhere.
Have had good luck with Freud for my table saw.

Makes me wish for the days when I lived east of San Francisco and
there was an local oriental guy who would sharpen blades for $3 and
for a dollar more would balance them and then true them within .003"
side to side.

I moved to AL in '76 and inquired about having a blade balanced and
trued they looked at me as if I had lost my mind. Said they never
heard of such.

Happy New Year to all.