Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Seeing colour in a B&W film..

Well so many issues here. I suspect if you had been watching it on a film
projector you would not see any colour. What this may show is shortcomings
in the digital technology or the way the three pixels of rGB affect ones
individual eye and whether persistence of vision is greater on one of them
for you, or indeed the actual pixel is on for longer.
Back in the old days of analogue when I could see a bit I could get all
sorts of strange effects due to inaccuracies in both the eye and the shadow
mask of the tube and the registration of the colours.

If its derived from film there is that added issue of the frame speed vs the
scanning speed and frame rate that it ends in and when it was converted and
how. Many say that some old films are too contrasty, ie soot and whitewash
effect blurring out detail in highlights or lowlights, all of which can
upset colour balance of the eye. So I'm not surprised that some see such
things but I don't think in these cases its deliberate. Of course it has
been all the rage in and around the 90s to artificially colour black and
white films by doing several frames in a sequence and then using 'tweening'
software to interpret the rest of the shot to make it supposedly look real.
Most who have seen these say that cartoons are OK but live action can take
on the dream like look as the hues are subtly incorrect at times and of
course if anything appears in a shot that has not been given a colour or
cannot be tracked all sorts of odd things used to occur!

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
I have been watching an occasional old film on 81 (Talking Pictures).

This morning there was a short BFI B&W kids film on (The Christmas Tree),
from 1966, with kids involved in journey taking a Christmas tree to
London. Rather oddly and despite it being a B&W film, the tree's foliage
showed up quite faintly as green. None of the grass, nor the other trees
showed as even slightly green. All rather puzzling, but I remember a TV
experiment from way back, where they tested B&W TV's to hint at showing
some colour. Anyone remember it?

I like watching some of these older low budget films, for the quiet roads
and vehicles from the early days of my motoring career.