Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Non Linear Halfords Concentrated Screen Wash

On 31/12/17 12:22, Max Demian wrote:
On 31/12/2017 09:28, harry wrote:
On Friday, 22 December 2017 20:05:03 UTC, newshoundÂ* wrote:
On 22/12/2017 14:09, Caecilius wrote:
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 13:16:31 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:

On 22/12/2017 13:03, Caecilius wrote:
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 12:17:07 +0000, Vortex13

wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protectionÂ* to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

It's probably a mixture of alcohol and water.Â* The alcohol is
probably
methanol, as that's the cheapest alcohol available.

I would have thought that methylated spirit is cheaper (ethanol with
around 7.5% methanol). (I used to add meths to my washer bottle, which
coloured the plastic purple.)

I think methanol is the cheapest at the industrial level, but I might
be wrong.

I wouldn't use meths myself, as I don't like the pyridine smell, and I
suspect that it would rot the windscreen wiper blades.

That's only in the purple "domestic" stuff, proper "Industrial Meths"
doesn't have it.

The purple colour is caused by stuff added to it to give it a bad
taste and also not be mistaken for water.Â* Discourages people from
drinking it.

Actually the stuff that makes it nasty to drink is usually pyridine,
which is colourless. The purple dye is something different.

N-(4-(bis(4-(dimethylamino)phenyl)methylene)cyclohexa-2,5-dien-1-ylidene)methanaminium
chloride)

Apparently.

let them."