Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Toasters

RJH wrote:

On 2017-12-30, RJH wrote:

As (I'd guess) one of the biggest
consumers of domestic electricity,

What utter ********.

https://www.carbonfootprint.com/energyconsumption.html

Which confirms (assuming that this site isn't itself utter ********)
that your assertion is indeed utter ********. Are you harry?

Not sure how long you want to do this. Do you want to discredit the site
first? Or do you want me to give you the average consumption across
appliances, and compare that with the kettle? (I think we're on safe

Their claim that the average kettle boils 4.2 litres a day seems rather
excessive.

Mmmm, yes. I'm really not sure. Anecdotally I'd say it's an
underestimate. Kettles hold about 1.7l. So about 5 half-kettle boils a
day. In a household of three, I'd suppose that's not a wild assumption.
And household sizes are going down - so more kettles.

Pretty much everyone I know puts far more water than needed into a
kettle when making a drink. At work they habitually brim it - and I
share that kettle with half a dozen natural scientists. But then my
little social and work circle seem to drink far more hot drinks than
anyone else. And do weird things like use the kettle to boil water to
fill a saucepan to cook veg, pasta etc.

That's not weird, with electric hobs anyway. It definitely saves time,
and probably energy. But definitely saves time if you want to heat a
lot of water quickly, say for pasta.

But that really is my point - we don't know the answers to a lot of
this. And far from EU research being amusing or trivial, I think it's a
good idea to look into it. I'd suggest the kettle is, by household, a
top 10, and in a lot of cases top 5, consumer of domestic electricity.

Apply any efficiencies over 28m UK households and in my view the
potential is significant. Of course, I've been wrong before :-)

--

Roger Hayter