Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Toasters

On 30/12/2017 18:22, wrote:
On Saturday, 30 December 2017 12:30:59 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 30/12/2017 12:15, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 30 December 2017 11:59:19 UTC, RJH wrote:
On 28/12/2017 23:06, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 28 December 2017 19:03:21 UTC, Norman Wells
wrote:
On 28/12/2017 18:40, Rod Speed wrote:

Well, that's the problem. It's not just that one
manufacturer's bread that is supersized. It's that many
toasters cannot fully accommodate slices from any large
loaves.

I blame the EU myself.

It's not the EU but if they pass energy use rules for
toasters, the obvious approach to conformance will be to
reduce the slot size.

The idea that they considered energy rules for kettles is
almost amusing. Water takes the same amount to reach boiling
no matter what you do, and ambient heat loss is trivial.

* Variable heat kettles - not everyone needs boiling water
(weird teas for example); * Quicker auto-off. It does not take
all kettles of the same rating the same amount of time to reach
boiling and swithc off; * Decreased minimum fill; * Improved
heat retaining insulation.

Bosch do one IIRC, for a price. As (I'd guess) one of the
biggest consumers of domestic electricity, I think it's a very
good idea to take a look at kettles.

Whether the EU does it, or the UK, I don't really care.

2-3 minutes to boil 3x a day at 2.4kW. That's 0.24-0.36kWh/day or
3.1-4.7p/day = £11.38-£17 a year. Now what are those features
going to save, 50p? £1? What are they going to cost? £10? £20?
How long is the kettle going to last?

NT

Wrong questions..

how much can you reduce the peaks in demand and will that save
investing in another electric mountain?

Those features aren't going to make a significant difference to peak
power use. Let's be optimistic and say a quicker stat cuts 5 seconds
off boil time out of 2-3mins, that's at best 1.7-2.5% trimmed off the
peak. 40 million superkettles is an extra £400-800 million.

No it isn't.
Once all kettles have to meet the regs the price drops as they no longer
have a USP that allows them to charge more.
The actual cost of doing things like insulating kettles is minimal and
improving the stat is even less.