Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default favorite way to attach baseboard

A couple things I have not seen mentioned. SWMBO and I used to block out
Thanksgiving week for a major room renovation...paint pergo crown moulding, new
baseboards, tile, etc. We've upgraded everything except the kitchen now.

We'd pull up flooring, and use 1.5 inch blue painter tape to mark stud positions
on the wall. We prefinished the new baseboards or crown with stain/varnish or
paint, depending on the room. We also used the 30 degree angle to join pieces.

When installing the base, we'd tear a bunch of 2 inch or so pieces of 1/2 blue
painters tape, stick those on the base centered on the blue tape to show us
where the stud was, and hit it with an 18 or 15 ga brad/nail in an X pattern
through the tape. 18 worked almost every time for us and is a smaller hole to
hide.

Once a wall was done, I'd start measuring for the next wall and SWMBO came along
and topped up the nail holes with the tape still in place. White spackle for
white base, and wax stick for stain. Let the spackle dry and pull off the tape
and you are done. No sanding or touch up required. Works for crown too.

18 or even 23 ga is fine for tacking shoe to the base. Use blue tape for 18 and
fill holes as above. 23 (love my Grex) just disappears, even with white paint.
My old eyes may be part of that though.

On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 16:10:57 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

air stapler will do the job but the look is not so good

brad nailer might be the best way to go

has anyone here tried a palm nailer to do baseboard