Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default HPS bulb is dim

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 14:39:43 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 10:10:00 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I just replaced a 70 watt LU70 bulb in my driveway and it won't get bright. It only stays dim. It comes on and off correctly but doesn't get that bright orange glow. Any ideas?
The old bulb was cycling on and off, barely even getting full brightness before shutting off and starting over. I let it go until it was out completely. Bad choice I'm sure. Any idea if I just have a bad bulb or is there something more wrong with fixture like capacitor?

If you let a low pressure sodium lamp operate ANY length of time
with a bad bulb you WILL destroy the ballast. My guess is your ballast
is TOAST

+1 The ballast is the place to look.