Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Glass conservatory style roof on kitchen?

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 18:40:26 +0000, R D S wrote:

Our kitchen sticks out of the back of the left side of the house and is
quite small. As was our neighbour's.

outside
__________
| |
_____ | |
| | gap | |
| |_____| |
| | |
| | |
our house neighbour

The neighbours have had an pretty large extension so their kitchen spans
the whole of the boundary, so now there is a wall to the right of our
house.

We've been thinking of having a conservatory built in the gap between,
but now thinking of knocking the kitchen out and extending across in a
similar way they have, albeit smaller.

So we are now wondering whether to build the lot in a conservatory style
and have a glass roof.

Any opinions on this, anyone done similar?

Or any opinions generally, thanks.

If you have a glass roof you will need blinds in the summer. Assuming that
you can meet the thermal loss requirements of Building Regs.

We built out with a solid roof with three opening roof lights then had the
entire garden end as bifold doors. This gives plenty of light and much
better heat insulation. The only major thing that I would have done
differently would have been to fit powered openers for the roof lights.

All very well to say - "How much? I can do that with a pole!" but after a
while it gets to be a pain, and automatic closing when it rains is a big
bonus.

Channelling out all that new plaster to run in extra wires isn't that
attractive, and the power units would have to fit the existing roof lights
because their integration into the metal roof is a work of art which would
be expensive to repeat.

Anyway, best of luck.

Cheers

Dave R