Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Christmas Snake Oil anyone ?. (V expensive mains extension block).

On 29 Dec 2017 14:10:27 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 13:49:12 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
This was followed by the 2001? Christmas edition of AbFab and I noticed
the name Jon Plowman on the list of credits. Is he a relative of yours
?.

Not as far as I know. But have never done any family tree, etc, tracing.
But Jon doesn't know of any link either.

One odd thing was a sister of my mother married a Plowman too - no
relation to my father. From the other end of the UK.

I knew a Plowman years ago at the University of Kent.

Not a particularly rare name and not really surprising as it is
derived from the occupation of a Ploughman which is a job that goes
back a very long time, not too far from here there is a business
which at one time was a nursery but has re branded as Plowmans Garden
Center.
Plowmen, Smith, Knight , Miller,Thatcher,Slater, Woodburn,Tanner are
other occupational names that go back centuries yet despite its
influence on our lives the Industrial revolution of the past 3
centuries doesn't seem to have created many that I can quickly think
of.
Are there many or any people call Miner, Fireman, Cablelayer, Latheman
etc. I have known a few Turners but don't know if the name goes back
a long way into wooden furniture making or from later metal working.
There are some Drivers as well but would think the derivation is from
shifting livestock rather than being on the footplate of the Rocket
and subsequent locomotives.

G.Harman

G.Harman