Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment
Robert Baer[_3_] Robert Baer[_3_] is offline

Default Running an empty microwave oven

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 03:59:42 -0000, Robert Baer
wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 03:49:55 -0000, rickman wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote on 12/11/2017 11:50 AM:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 04:07:43 -0000, Mary-Jane Rottencrotch

On 2007-01-19 12:13, Peter ****er wrote:
Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it
will
break it?

Derp.

It was a sensible question. This could be done by accident.

I interviewed with a place once that was doing something with testing
microwave ovens. They ran them all the time with nothing in them.
I had
always read that you should not operate them with nothing to absorb the
energy and mentioned that. I got a strange look from the guy.
Obviously
the energy that would be absorbed is within the limits of what the
ovens
were designed to get rid of.

You'd think there would be something that absorbs microwaves that miss
the food. And you'd think such a thing would have a thermal cutout.
Anybody want to try it?

IDIOT!
ain't nuttin that "absorbs" the energy.
Ask how the maggie works with highly mis-matched loads (hi SWR).

I went for an interview in a place that designed industrial strength
magnetron. There IS a block to absorb energy. A microwave oven without
one is VERY badly designed.

Rule of thumb or any commercial (= = volume) item is: for every fifty
cent cost to make, selling price must go up by five dollars (cars, toys,
etc).
Industrial grade magge-powered ovens cost a lot more than the over
the counter el-cheapos that the great unwashed buy.