Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default notation for plank

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 6:36:15 PM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I wouldn't worry about being exposed as an
amatuer. It's better than being exposed as an
A-hole who thinks they know everything but in
reality knows squat.

Well, that was a way of asking what to bring.
I'm not afraid of being exposed as anything,
and certainly not a carpenter as this photo [1]
pretty much sums up all my experience with
wood.

But I'm a gear freak so I always think about
brining the right stuff, knowing how to operate
it, and have it in a clean and
functional state, no matter what I do.

And yes, I've worked with many supposedly
professional guys who had no care of kit
whatsoever and had frustration boiling up all
day everyday because either the gear was
someplace else, or it was disfunctional from
maltreatment...

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/work-photos/wood.jpg

Did you see my link to the FAQ's at Woodworker's Source?

https://www.woodworkerssource.com/sh...uy_lumber.html

Lots of info there to help you understand how to buy boards using board-feet
measurements, what S2S means, how to get boards in the sizes you need, etc.

This info is both generic in nature (knowledge for use anywhere) as well as specific
to Woodworker's Source, explaining how to order specific boards from them. The same
will hold true for almost any source, with minor changes. In any case, you'll be armed with
knowledge that will help you understand your options.