Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Blade for Compound, sliding miter saw

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 17:32:26 -0600, swalker wrote:

About 30 years ago I purchased a Hitachi compound sliding miter saw.

The blade that came with the saw would not cut a 22.5 degree perfectly
and I when I talked to the company about it they suggested I change
the blade to another style. I did and it worked.

I can't remember the style but I think it was designated as a ATB type
or something like that.

Anybody have a clue as to what type blade I need for a replacement?

Sorry to be so vague but I think a little mad-cow has kicked in. Or
maybe part-timers.

Replace it with another ATB (Alternate Top Bevel)? Most blades are
ATB. Since the idea is to cut the wood completely, it doesn't matter
what the cut looks like. An ATB blade has a bevel on the even teeth
and an opposite bevel on the odd teeth.

OTOH, if you're not cutting the wood all the way through (a dado or
plough), the shape of the bottom of the cut matters, so a flat grind
is used.