Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Double insulated cooker hood trips RCD

On 29/12/2017 12:24, Peter Andrews wrote:

Our cooker hood is plugged into a 13A socket with a built in RCD and
that trips every time we try and change the speed. So we always turn it
off move the speed switch and turn on again - clearly not a serious fault!

I had one that gave a flash and a bang on switch on once and the gave
all appearances of being dead. Checked the fuse and it was ok. Then
realised there were now vaporised tracks on the small PCB the switch was
mounted on! Repaired those (this time with a wire that would take the
full motor inrush current in every situation!) and all was well again.

--
Cheers,

John.