Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default "Electronic Transformer" ... as 12V PSU?

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 10:04:44 +0000, Bob Minchin
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I need to replace a laptop style (12V 7A) PSU (not for a laptop) and
was wondering if the sort of thing you can get to power 12V LED lights
would be suitable?

I'm talking of this sort of thing:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lig...sformer/p11098

Is it just a 12V SMPSU or is it summat 'different'?

I find it weird that they don't mention the output voltage in the
blurb, just a range of wattages (it does say 11.4V on the item itself
though).

Cheers, T i m

Be aware that these lighting type transformers rarely produce DC and
have a minimum load usually of around half the max output before they
will switch on. The output voltage quoted is often the RMS value of a
non sinusoid. So ideal for lighting but not a lot else. I have used them
for anti rust heating with resistive loads in the past.

Thanks for the heads up Bob. From the feedback here I think I was just
wishful thinking, especially with the lack of any real data presented
on the Toolstation website on the things.

Back to a 'proper' SMPSU of some sort. ;-)

Cheers, T i m