Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default notation for plank

On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 9:48:57 PM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
krw wrote:

When buying hardwoods, one measures. ;-)

Really?

So what should you bring to the
sawmill/hardware store as not to expose
yourself as a rank amateur?

I wouldn't worry about being exposed as an amatuer. It's better than being exposed as an
A-hole who thinks they know everything but in reality knows squat.

There a place near me where I can buy all sorts of wood in all sorts of sizes. One guy will
spend a hour with you answering your questions (he likes to teach). The other guy grudgingly
answers your questions with a minimum of words. (I'll be gracious and say that he's not much
of a talker. I won't say that he doesn't really want to help.)

If you can find a teacher, you're golden. Even the experts were rank amaturers once. Those
that remember that are the good guys, like most of the folks in this group.