Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default To replace older combi boiler?

mechanic wrote:

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 09:18:30 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

Graham. wrote:

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 17:54:35 +0000, Andrew
coalesced the vapors of human
experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
Depends on how much gas you use. I bought a Viessmann from
Ebay at well below the local prices, and fitted it myself.
Paid for itself in approx 4 years over the previous RS cast
iron lump. But my gas usage is higher than average.

Are you on the Gas Safe Register? Or are you considered
"competent" to fit a gas appliance? There still seems to be a
good bit of confusion around for anyone considering a DIY gas
installation.

I don't give a stuff about 'Gas Safe' in my own house. And I
defy any inspector etc to tell it wasn't installed by a pro.
Except those who only know such things by a bit of paper.

Hear, hear.

If the gas rate at the boiler maintains 20 mBar and there are
no leaks then that's it. Checking flue gases for correct
combustion is the only tricky part of modern boilers.

I wouldn't install a boiler myself, but I do know that pressure is
expressed in mBars, and gas rate in volume/time.

I think you are commenting on a loosely worded sentence (*at* the
*required* gas rate the boiler maintains a *pressure of* 20 mBar)
rather than an error.

Here we seem to be in a problem area where Northern Gas Networks
won't allow installers to venture, let alone the d-i-y amateurs.

Not necessarily. We are assuming the pressure is OK at the meter. The
test is to ensure it does not drop at the boiler end when it is on full
power. If it does it is more likely to be inadequate pipework in the
house than a supply fault. But if properly designed it is just a check
to show it works and is not blocked anywhere.

--

Roger Hayter