Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default "Electronic Transformer" ... as 12V PSU?

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 00:32:16 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 28/12/2017 22:58, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I need to replace a laptop style (12V 7A) PSU (not for a laptop) and
was wondering if the sort of thing you can get to power 12V LED lights
would be suitable?

I'm talking of this sort of thing:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lig...sformer/p11098

Is it just a 12V SMPSU or is it summat 'different'?

I find it weird that they don't mention the output voltage in the
blurb, just a range of wattages (it does say 11.4V on the item itself
though).

Transformer implies non-DC. I see others in the range on a different
website actually say AC.

Good point. I initially thought they were for LEDs but later saw they
weren't. I have used one to replace similar in a floor standing lamp
with a halogen light and that of course wouldn't need to be polarised

I would pass and purchase a true 12V DC supply, if that is what you want.

Something like this at £8.77 for 12V @ 10A:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-24...y/181881169501

Yes, I went to them from a std 'laptop' type PSU but it would need
casing up ... or fitting inside the PC PSU case than currently only
holds a 120mm fan.

And cheaper than the Toolsatan offering. Only concern is the output
earthing arrangement. I might be wary to treat the output to be SELV
without knowing more about the unit.

It was just something I could go and get locally today. ;-)

Of course there are others.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I think I might first cut the output lead
off the dead laptop style PSU and connect it up to my bench PSU and
remind myself what current it (my home server) actually draws (worst
case) and go from there.

Cheers, T i m