Greg DeBacker

Default Need advice on drafty wood windows

"Don Gross" wrote in message news:wg3xb.233813$9E1.1270901@attbi_s52...
I have a 'sunroom' that has double hung single pane glass. This room is on
the North side of the house (odd for a sunroom) and is always cold in the
winter, especially when it is windy.

A contractor has given me a bid to replace the 10 windows with totally new
units, however I can get a 'sash replacement' system from the local home
improvement store for about 6o % of the contractor bid cost. According to
the manufacturer this replacement system can be installed by a reasonably
skilled homeowner in about 20 minutes per window, and all of the work can be
done from the inside. If the manufacturers marketing information is to be
believed, installing the replacements would amount to less than 4 hours of
my effort with a savings of more than $1000.

I have also considered putting up storm windows, but I would like to do
something with all of the windows in the house, and am not crazy about
climbing around on a ladder to do that job.

My question is does has anyone had experience with a 'sash replacement'
system such as this, and are you happy with the results?

Thanks in advance,

Don

I've never done this work but I've heard from plenty who have. Forget
the 20 minutes per window working time. You can also forget most of
what the manufacturer tells you. They want you to buy their windows.
The wood sash windows can be made weather proof for much less cost and
work than sash replacments or new windows. If I were you I would head
over to the Old House Journal web site
(http://216.25.63.4/talk/index.shtml) and search on 'windows'. There
have been dozens of threads on window repair vs. replacement. You'll
be an expert by the time you finish reading everything there.

There is also http://www.windowrepair.com/index.html

Greg