Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default "Electronic Transformer" ... as 12V PSU?

On 28/12/2017 22:58, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I need to replace a laptop style (12V 7A) PSU (not for a laptop) and
was wondering if the sort of thing you can get to power 12V LED lights
would be suitable?

I'm talking of this sort of thing:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lig...sformer/p11098

Is it just a 12V SMPSU or is it summat 'different'?

I find it weird that they don't mention the output voltage in the
blurb, just a range of wattages (it does say 11.4V on the item itself
though).

Transformer implies non-DC. I see others in the range on a different
website actually say AC.

I would pass and purchase a true 12V DC supply, if that is what you want.

Something like this at £8.77 for 12V @ 10A:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-24...y/181881169501

And cheaper than the Toolsatan offering. Only concern is the output
earthing arrangement. I might be wary to treat the output to be SELV
without knowing more about the unit.

Of course there are others.