Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Oven tripping RCD

Andy Burns wrote:

ARW wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

10+ year old Neff oven, just decided to trip RCD, no previous trouble.

Screams to me knackered element.

Dragged it out today, disconnected all elements, it would run cold
without tripping, high resistance from elements to earth while still
cold, reconnected elements and after warming up on fan setting for a
couple of minutes it tripped, disconnected elements one by one and found
the bottom element is the culprit (the most expensive and for me the
least used).

While warm, the earth resistance from the dodgy element was 60k, after
leaving running for 20 minutes to get decently hot, it got up to about
200k, for now its wires are taped-up and left disconnected.

Any resistance you can measure with a multimeter is definitely
defective. I would expect it to be gigaohms even at 500V.

--

Roger Hayter